"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson

December 08, 2015

Fresh Blood: A market update

I reached out to my friend Gianfranco Carrion to try to get him blogging.  He's a talented chartist with awesome market insights.  Luckily, he agreed.  Let's show him some support for this awesome piece of research he put together!  


Here I go, first blog post ever. Thank you for your viewership.
I may be able to anticipate your first question: “Who is this dude and why should I continue reading?” The answer to that question and some others about my background are at the bottom of this post for those interested.
I do wish to share the purpose of my writing. When I began learning about the market years ago, I could noticeably identify two distinct target audiences for financial media:
  1. The market veterans who jump right into complicated technical and fundamental facts
  2. The novice readers who seek to make sense of the never-ending noise and fluctuations of the market
With this blog, I aim to close such gap. I intend to share material that speaks to both groups alike. With luck, my writing will make some money for members in both groups.
Now, a few disclaimers and assumptions:
  • I ‘m first and foremost a technical analyst. I’m all about CHARTS at all timeframes. You will not find wordy fundamental stories on this blog
  • I do understand there are fundamental forces affecting the market. I just chose to decipher them via charts
  • Very few stocks trade in a bubble. If you can’t chart market direction ($NDX, $SPX, $RUT) and have a plan for it, the odds are stacked highly against you.
  • You’ve heard it and it’s true: The market takes the “staircase up, elevator down
  • I assume readers have an understanding of basic technical analysis tools. I mostly use: Simple moving averages, 5-day exponential moving average, Bollinger bands and RSI
  • I keep charts simple. Keep the Fibs, Ichimoku Clouds, Keltner Channels, etc in the closet
  • I defined trends (up or down) as price being above/below it’s 5-day exponential moving average. That simple
  • My motto: “Chart first, think later. Always tune out the noise
Ok enough words…On to the charts. Let’s be very clear about where we are in this current bull market
Zooming in, we are only -3% away from the $SPX all-time highs (2,126.64). Sure doesn’t feel like it, doesn’t it?
C:\Users\lgc214\Desktop\2 - SPX ATH.png
So much NOISE hitting CNBC news wires last few days. Below is a summary of “reasons” for declines in last 5 days. Yet, $SPY has moved in a 2.8% range. Do you go long now? NO. I rarely go long when price is under 5ema. Support stands at 50dma at 204.99 (-0.95%)



Focusing on the last reason for sell-off, $OIL is in the gutter. There’s so much noise from CNBC and other “pros” calling for $20 crude. That tells me fear is hitting the street and makes me think the bottom is near. Take notice $USO reversals in 2015 were all marked by HUGE daily candles. First huge squeeze day tends to follow through – keep a close watch

C:\Users\lgc214\Desktop\4 - USO.png

Charlie Bilello shared the largest Crude Oil declines in History via @Stocktwits  (Lowest -68%).  Current decline at -65%
C:\Users\lgc214\Desktop\5 - Crude declines.png
In summary:
  • $SPX is below a declining 5ema
  • $SPX -3% away from all-time highs
  • Rate Hike, European Central Bank and Oil price headlines are clouding wild price swings
  • Oil in the middle of a historic decline (-65%) – wait on first squeeze reversal
  • December 16 Rate Hike looms in the background
So, what do I like in this environment? The last standing soldier is the technology space, which has been able to fend off the Oil decline pressure better than industrials and non-tech large caps
Note the $NDX (Nasdaq 100) is still holding its 5ema (4,686.97) and forming a base in a 2.9% range. We want to see a decisive breakout above 4,700 to project upside on a longer timeframe
C:\Users\lgc214\Desktop\6 - NDX.png
Am I telling to go buy your preferred tech stock? No, to the novice investor. The best move right now is to wait for a new market trend to develop after the news event on December 16.  However, there indeed are some names within tech that call my attention, such as $SWKS and $ATVI

$SWKS @ 87.1 / Stop $85 (-2.4%)
Skyworks looks attractive after downtrend breakout. Looks poised as a good swing over 20dma



$ATVI @ 39.36 / Stop $38.3 (-2.7%)
Activision now over 37.8 and still in a strong uptrend. Ride trend over 37.8. Stop tighter than usual given environment


In a “NO CHASE” tape, I tend to visualize market trends at longer than usual timeframe. I’d like to close with one final crazy thought. Given extreme sell-off in crude and horrible sentiment in space, one of two scenarios is near:
  1. Either the energy sector ($XLE) implodes and is probably the trigger for the next bear market
  2. Crude ($WTIC) “magically” reverses, forcing energy sector to bounce w/ force, finally propping $SPX into new highs. For this, the dollar ($UUP) will need to cool or lose uptrend
Well, big bets = big $. At the moment, I’m much inclined to think the bottom in oil is a couple of points away. Look for possible reversal signs discussed earlier in this document. Until then, I’m keeping stops tighter than usual with a 100% focus on tech space. Thank you for reading. Trade ‘em well - Gio
Since June 2014
$UUP +22% $WTIC -65% $XLE -36% $SPY +5%


C:\Users\lgc214\Desktop\9 - Crazy SPY thought.png

More about Gianfranco: Q & A Session
  1. Who are you and why should I listen?
My name is Gianfranco, a 27 year-old Financial Analyst from Atlanta. My true passion is asset management; further, as investors/traders, you and I share the common interest of making money playing this game. I seek to share my ideas in order to spread the knowledge and wealth with anyone who cares to read


  1. Are you experienced?
I’ve been actively investing in the market since early 2013 (man what a good year that was!). Ever since, I’ve spent every waking second learning how to chart stocks and studying every movement in the market, current and past.


  1. What are you offering?
I offer my ideas about market direction expressed in CHARTS. Personally, I trade market direction via ETFs the mosts. I do play individual stocks when market conditions alow for longer swings; however, that has not been the case since late 2014.


  1. Who do you look up to as an investor?
One can say I’m a new age trader. Reading “Insider Buy Superstocks” by Jesse Stine was the reason that turned me into an active trader. I believe the rise of High Frequency Trading has changed the rules of the game and that mirroring techniques from 50 years ago have little profit for me. I try to understand and beat the machines via tech analysis


  1. How do I contact you?

I more than welcome interaction via my Stocktwits account: @gianfranco18 – talk to you soon

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Reminder:

All ideas shown on this blog represent the authors opinion based on the data available.